 Marketplace / Theory / 582
Re: What some people will buy!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 20:40:04 GMT

   I think the price is OK.  I know who bought it; he seems to be cornering the
market.:-P I only know three people who have this set (with or without box),
including the new owner of this one.  It was on Matt Chiles want list and Todd
Lehman's want list for at least a few years (they are BIG Space fans), and it
is still on mine.  But I don't want one without a box (well, maybe I would take
it without, but not right now).  This is a comparable set to the Maiden's Cart
(6023) - both very rare, very demanded, and near impossible to find sealed or
boxed - hard enough just to find instructions.  Pricing things like this is
hard to do, and I think that price is fair, although it first appears quite
high.  If you knew how long folks have looked for this set, then the price
wouldn't seem unreasonable.  Thats just my 2 cents.  John

In lugnet.market.auction, Will Middelaer writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Tamyra Teed writes:
These is really insane, have you seen the final bid? 128.some odd
cents.. This has got to be close if not a record for insane prices...

I guess the real "value" here is not the parts, but the instructions.  The
parts are available in many other sets, but the "set" isn't complete without
the instructions and a box, if this set even came in a box.

The wording of the ad that mentions how the set was largely unknown until
recently made me think, just for a second, that this was some MOC with sham
instructions printed up, so that someone could "discover" a lost set and sell
it for big money.  Sort of like the way variants crop up for mini-fig
collectors.

The other theory I had on this one was that someone is trying to artificially
inflate the market, trying to draw out other high bidders by carrying on a
sort of farce auction, which would then create an unreasonable comparable out
there so that $100 for this tiny set would look like a bargain.

I wouldn't have bid $5 on this set.  You can't play with instructions!

Will

(Followups to .theory)