 Marketplace / Theory / 581
Re: What some people will buy!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 20:28:43 GMT

It appears that for the buyer, this set was one of the last 2 sets need to
complete his space collection.  Given that the set is supposedly rare, I can
understand paying a premium for the set in order to complete the collection.
I wouldn't have paid that much of a premium, but apparently he would.

Troy

Will Middelaer <betamale@yahoo.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.market.auction, Tamyra Teed writes:
These is really insane, have you seen the final bid? 128.some odd
cents.. This has got to be close if not a record for insane prices...

I guess the real "value" here is not the parts, but the instructions.  The
parts are available in many other sets, but the "set" isn't complete • without
the instructions and a box, if this set even came in a box.

The wording of the ad that mentions how the set was largely unknown until
recently made me think, just for a second, that this was some MOC with • sham
instructions printed up, so that someone could "discover" a lost set and • sell
it for big money.  Sort of like the way variants crop up for mini-fig
collectors.

The other theory I had on this one was that someone is trying to • artificially
inflate the market, trying to draw out other high bidders by carrying on a
sort of farce auction, which would then create an unreasonable comparable • out
there so that $100 for this tiny set would look like a bargain.

I wouldn't have bid $5 on this set.  You can't play with instructions!

Will

(Followups to .theory)