 Marketplace / Theory / 328
Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 19:06:43 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
James Brown wrote:

That is how eBay does it, I believe.  However, Larry (among others, myself
included) feels that you should be required to exceed the proxy by the • minimum
bid, not just the current bid.  I'll let Larry explain the reasoning behind
this, he's better at it than I am.(1)

I was going to chime in with an explanation like Eric's but now I don't
have to.  I would be keen to hear an explanation of why one proxy should
have to beat another by a full increment.

Say I'm selling my car and the current bid is $5,000 and the bid step is
$500 (example step, not the ones eBay uses).  If two bidders place proxy
bids of $6,000 and $6,300 which one should get it?

My opinion is that the one willing to pay more should, but it sounds
like you and Larry think that the one who placed the bid first
(regardless of being lower) should.  Do you think that because of some
innate fairness issue or because of the verbiage used by eBay in
discussing how it works?

Well, it's sort of an innate fairness, I suppose, but also partly a difference
of opinion about what a proxy bid is.  I'll attempt an explanation.

1: eBay as written, allows the system to be cheated.  Let's assume, for the
sake of argument, that (in your example above) 1 bidder places a proxy of
$6000.  The second bidder, uses a shill account to bid $99999999, and sees
that he gets it at $6500.  He then withdraws the shill bid, the first bidder's
bid gets re-instated, and he uses his real account to bid $6000.01, saving
himself ~$500.

2:In a more theoretical sense, is it not nonsensical for minimum increments to
apply to some bids and not others?  A bid is a bid is a bid.  It doesn't
matter whether you place the bid yourself, or instruct the system to place the
bid for you.  If a bid is placed on my behalf, anyone attempting to exceed
that bid should need to exceed it by the minimum increment.

3:Essentially, eBay is lazy.  It doesn't negotiate the bids out (like Auczilla
does, for example.  see: http://www.auczilla.com/lego/x/7.html for a more in-
depth explanation there), but instead simply uses (AFAICT) a simple less
than/greater than equation.  So, it will check an incoming bid.  If it is
greater than the current bid ->by at least the minimum increment<- and it is
greater than the proxy ->by any amount <- it will accept the new bid.

Ironically enough, eBay has no problems with faulty internal logic.  Check
their definition of 'minimum increment', and see if you can spot the
inconsitency:

  http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/g-bid-increment.html

HTH
James