 Marketplace / Theory / 337
Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:29:50 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
<major snippage>

PF has it for 45 but has a proxy for 50
EB bids 50.01 proxy.

The auction software kicks in... EB has a bid of 46 placed (the first
proxy bid) PF *also* has a bid of 46 placed and is treated as having bid
first. He holds. Now EB has a bid of 47 (next proxy bid) and PF *also*
has 47 and was first... on up to 50... EB has a bid of 50 placed but so
does PF. EB's next actual bid is for 50.01 which is too small to beat
the min increment and therefore EB does not win.

Now, I claim that is fairer. PF was ready to pay 50 FIRST. He needs to
be beaten by the min bid increment, or 50+1.

Others do not. but to me it's just one more example of why eBay is
deficient. Pretty much every time I examine some facet, I find something
I don't like. Amazing, really, that it has done so well anyway. but so
be it.

My two cents worth (had to outbid that lousy 1 cent raise) is I'm with Larry.
In his example, PF bid $50 *first*.  It is now incumbent upon any bidder to
raise it by the minimum increment.  Has anyone written to eBay or gotten a
written explanation from them?

Bruce

Bruce