 Marketplace / Theory / 329
Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 23:23:48 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.market.theory, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
A recent auction result:

ebart3 (0)
       Last bid at:       $50.01
       Date of bid:       10/05/99, 17:52:29 PDT

pmfoster (10)
       Last bid at:       $50.00
       Date of bid:       09/30/99, 15:31:52 PDT

At this price level the bump is a buck. There is NO WAY ebart3 should
have gotten this item for one cent more, he should have had to go to 51.

Now I am no fan of Ebay but here is one possible scenario as to how this could
have happened...

1.  Opening bid on box of 20 widgets = $30
2.  On 9/30 pmfoster bids $50 but because of proxy bidding price is set at
$30.
3.  On 10/5 ebart3 comes in and sees a $30 bid with a minimum bid of $31 and
places a maximum bid of $50.01.
4.  Proxy bidding occurs and because ebart3 has out bid pmfoster by $.01 their
bid stands.

In this scenario ebart3 is not bidding $50.01 on something that is allready at
$50.  They are bidding on something who's highest bid was $30 with a minimum
bid of $31.

I hope this makes sense.  If it does not let me know where my logic is off.

That is how eBay does it, I believe.  However, Larry (among others, myself
included) feels that you should be required to exceed the proxy by the minimum
bid, not just the current bid.

preface: eBay can do it whatever way they want. And the URL given later
in the thread makes it clear they acknowledge the way they do it may
result in a bump. Their place, their rules.

My thesis is NOT that they "can't" run things that way, they can. It
merely is that they SHOULD run differently.

The idea behind proxy bidding is to actually carry out an auction, not
just to allow a calculation to occur. Remember, in the older eBay
explanation of proxy bidding, they used the phrase "fierce bidding war"
to describe it. They dropped that phrasing.

Suppose we use Eric's numbers but lets start at 45. What many auction
sites do is as follows.

PF has it for 45 but has a proxy for 50
EB bids 50.01 proxy.

The auction software kicks in... EB has a bid of 46 placed (the first
proxy bid) PF *also* has a bid of 46 placed and is treated as having bid
first. He holds. Now EB has a bid of 47 (next proxy bid) and PF *also*
has 47 and was first... on up to 50... EB has a bid of 50 placed but so
does PF. EB's next actual bid is for 50.01 which is too small to beat
the min increment and therefore EB does not win.

Now, I claim that is fairer. PF was ready to pay 50 FIRST. He needs to
be beaten by the min bid increment, or 50+1.

Others do not. but to me it's just one more example of why eBay is
deficient. Pretty much every time I examine some facet, I find something
I don't like. Amazing, really, that it has done so well anyway. but so
be it.