 Marketplace / Theory / 332
Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 00:49:36 GMT

Mike Poindexter wrote:

Auczilla isn't perfect at negotiating bids either.  Let's say you have a max
bid of $10 for fifteen identical lots with the current bid at $3.  I come
along and say, "Wow, look at those!" and bid $12 on one lot, Auczilla will
proxy every single lot you have up to $10.  That will basically cause some
dissatisfaction.  Granted, this scenerio is extreme, but it is based on a
known flaw.

I don't beleive it's a flaw or known bug, per se. It is in fact
intentional behaviour. See:

http://www.auczilla.com/lego/x/7.html

(note to readers in the distant future, that URL may not work. At the
time of writing, X was the current auction... if it doesn't try whatever
the letter ID of the most current auction is in place of the x... for
instance say AucZILLA 17 ended last month, so try xvii between lego and
7)

Now, you may not agree with the behaviour, but I'd argue that it is the
fairest, and further, that Todd had to put a bit of effort into his
bidding algs to make sure it did behave that way.

It only applies to multiple identical lots.