 Marketplace / Theory / 338
Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:00:13 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Mike Poindexter writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, James Brown writes:
3:Essentially, eBay is lazy.  It doesn't negotiate the bids out (like • Auczilla
does, for example.  see: http://www.auczilla.com/lego/x/7.html for a more in-
depth explanation there), but instead simply uses (AFAICT) a simple less
than/greater than equation.  So, it will check an incoming bid.  If it is
greater than the current bid ->by at least the minimum increment<- and it is
greater than the proxy ->by any amount <- it will accept the new bid.
definition of 'minimum increment', and see if you can spot the
inconsitency:
HTH
James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

Auczilla isn't perfect at negotiating bids either.  Let's say you have a max
bid of $10 for fifteen identical lots with the current bid at $3.  I come
along and say, "Wow, look at those!" and bid $12 on one lot, Auczilla will
proxy every single lot you have up to $10.  That will basically cause some
dissatisfaction.  Granted, this scenerio is extreme, but it is based on a
known flaw.  I also recall doing this out of spite, but I can't remember the
lot it was on.  (Incidentally, you can always go back and outbid easily, since
you now know the other bidder is maxed out.)

I don't have a problem with Auczilla doing things that way.  It saves lots of
time because I assure you, if I want one of those 15 lots it saves me lots of
time rather than bidding up one, followed by another, followed by....

The way I look at it, there are two ways to go about the outbidding.  They
aren't better or worse, just different.  At first glance, I would prefer the
person who bids later to beat the earlier bid by the increment, but either
way, you will have a mad bidder.  Lat us say that I saw the car at $3000 and
bid $6200 only to see it go to the other guy for $6000 before I could ratchet
up my bid.  Would I not be angry, being outbid by somebody who was $200 lower
than me?

I think eBay doesn't care as much about the bidder - they don't want the SELLER
angry.  Do I want $6000 for my car or $6200?  Do I really care about the
annoyed loser?  No, that's eBay's problem.  eBay's attitude is that you have to
bid at least a minimal raise, but after that it's the high bidder.  I
personally don't agree with it, but that's probably my own personal sense of
fairness.  I at least know the rules, and being outbid by 1 cent or $2000
doesn't matter - I bid as much as I was willing to and if I don't win, I just
walk away knowing there will be something else along shortly.

Really, a bid of $6200 is the proper increment above the minimum bid, so it
will be accepted.  It is just a different way that eBay has of hashing out who
wins.  The main problem I see is that in some instances, it bumps up a penny
and some it bumps up the full increment.  They should always go up by the same
amount.  Since it can't go up the full increment, it should go up by a penny.
That is the way that makes sense to me.  This way, it is consistant.

Mike