 Marketplace / Theory / 405
Re: why eBay proxy bidding is broken
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 18:41:58 GMT

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999 13:26:20 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:

Steve Demlow wrote:

3. Can a bidder raise his/her proxy bid -without- rebidding on the lot?

I'd lean toward yes on this as a desirable feature, although with multiple
instances of the same lot you then run into the problem of differentiating
between a bid on a (potentially) additional instance vs. just raising the
proxy bid of a instance (and which instance?) you already have the high bid
on.  This is a step away from the idea that you are bidding on n out of m
lots without differentiating among those lots.

I tend to say no. Part of a proxy is the notion of what TIME it was
given. If I am at 30, have a proxy for 50 which I then raise to 70, it
seems to me that the 50-70 part should not be stamped as having the same
TIME as the earlier 30-50 part.

I tend to say yes, with the proviso that the time-stamp gets updated, so
the bid looks newer.  But I wouldn't give this capability a high priority
on the implementation schedule.

Steve