 Marketplace / Theory / 327
Re: Somebody with a feedback of -2 is high bidder on my auction!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 18:54:41 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999 15:07:01 GMT, "Scott-A" <s.arthur@hw.ac.uk> wrote:

Why do these people not just create a new account and start afresh?

Which is another problem with the feedback system--truly bad risks will
never show up, because as soon as someone gets a bad feedback value,
they'll just quit and make a new account.

Which is why I never bid very high on items being sold by people without
a good history of positive feedback on sales. I think the biggest
mistake a new seller can make is jumping in with a large number of
items, or large lots, or very valuable items. Jump in with a few smaller
items, then after those sell and you start getting feedback, jump in
with a few more, and then once you've established a pattern, THEN jump
in with your prize item. I think people would see much better prices on
their large items (I got a 6277 Imperial Trading Post for $75, $10 UNDER
MSRP when it normally goes for $120 or more because I was willing to
take a risk on a relatively new seller (he had a couple positive
feedbacks)). Also, build up a rating of positive feedback as a buyer
(though I look for seller feedbacks).

When giving feedback, make sure you make it clear that the feedback is
to a seller or a buyer. Try and mention details occaisionally (like
quick shipping, quick payment, friendly e-mails, item as described, item
better than described, repeat customer, good packaging). I also make
sure I indicate in feedback to sellers that it is a LEGO item I bought
(if people did this, it would be easier to see that a given seller has a
good history with selling the type of item you are looking at - always a
good sign).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com