 Marketplace / Theory / 30
  No really - a rational discussion of people selling via eBay?

Maybe it's too much to hope for. Who knows. I was called on the carpet recently for making a statement about eBay scalpers. I defended myself, qualifying that name for a very specific (and, seemingly, large) group of people who sell collectible (...) (25 years ago, 17-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: No really - a rational discussion of people selling via eBay?

(...) Isn't vilify a great word? It's got to be one of my favorite words, right up there with defenestrate, and erticate. "Shut up, cretin, I'm vilifying you!" I may have the wording not quite right (the book isn't in front of me), but can anyone (...) (25 years ago, 17-May-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

Mike Stanley wrote in message ... : :I was called on the carpet recently for making a statement about eBay :scalpers. I defended myself, qualifying that name for a very specific :(and, seemingly, large) group of people who sell collectible toys via (...) (25 years ago, 18-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: No really - a rational discussion of people selling via eBay?

(...) WHat I find objectionable (and what I think most people are actually complaining about) is hoarding not scalping. I think it is wrong for someone who has big pockets to go into a market and buy up all of some item, and then turn around with (...) (25 years ago, 18-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

Frank Filz wrote in message <37419C9C.3D6D@minds...ng.com>... :WHat I find objectionable (and what I think most people are actually :complaining about) is hoarding not scalping. I think it is wrong for :someone who has big pockets to go into a (...) (25 years ago, 19-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: No really - a rational discussion of people selling via eBay?

(...) Whew. Well, that's a relief, then. You've got nothing to worry about in a free market, because hoarding just can't happen. As long as multiple sellers of the product exist, the market will be at what the product is really worth. The only way (...) (25 years ago, 19-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: No really - a rational discussion of people selling via eBay?

(...) A few comments about hoarding: - I hope that in some cases, the hoarders get screwed by the manufacturers increasing production to feed the apparent market. I hope the manufacturers don't get screwed by overproducing. - One annoying thing is (...) (25 years ago, 19-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: No really - a rational discussion of people selling via eBay?

(...) I agree with all of the above. (...) I'm not absolutely sure that I would not call Franz K. a hoarder, but I have no problem with what he is doing. Once an item is out of production long enough for most areas to no longer have a stock, I think (...) (25 years ago, 19-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: No really - a rational discussion of people selling via eBay?

(...) Scalpers typically buy large quantities of a limited supply of items which have a significant value for only a limited time. Common target-items for scalpers are concert tickets and collectable toys. The goal of a scalper is to acquire and (...) (25 years ago, 19-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

Steve Bliss wrote in message <3742efd4.17452068@l...et.com>... :On Tue, 18 May 1999 02:40:39 GMT, "Janet Zorn" <lighthouse@bonzai.net> :wrote: : :>In general, to economists, scalper is not a meaningful term./1/ People :>have things that others want (...) (25 years ago, 20-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: No really - a rational discussion of people selling via eBay?

(...) Oh, I think any discussion here, especially if it remains rational and doesn't involve making degrading remarks about people, is good. (...) Mmmmm.... a new word. German? (...) To me, someone who is most certainly _not_ an economist, I don't (...) (25 years ago, 21-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: No really - a rational discussion of people selling via eBay?

(...) The thing I don't understand is, how are the prices for some things staying so consistently high? I've seen more Guarded Inn's go through eBay in the last few months than I remember seeing on RTL in the last year or more, all at a very high (...) (25 years ago, 21-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: "Bundling" sets for auctions doesn't work well.

(...) It may depend on the general price range the items are falling into. Generally, the more bundled something is, the greater the number of people who will be attracted to something inside the bundle. But above a certain point, it becomes (...) (25 years ago, 24-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  "Bundling" sets for auctions doesn't work well.

(...) I've been told (and I've found it to be true in my own auctions) that "bundling" things together for auction usually does not increase the bid value very much, and sometimes even makes it go down (people only want one set, and figure someone (...) (25 years ago, 24-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: "Bundling" sets for auctions doesn't work well.

(...) Well, I've rarely seen the 1967 broken up, but I have seen people break up copies of the Launch Command triple pack before. I just figured since I had one left that was unopened I would auction them that way in case someone else wanted them (...) (25 years ago, 25-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

Mike Stanley wrote in message ... :>It is a weltanshaung. :Mmmmm.... a new word. German? Mike, your the classicist, right? Maybe I'm spelling it wrong. The word I want is German for what we usually call "world view" (but to me auf Deutch, it is more (...) (25 years ago, 25-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: No really - a rational discussion of people selling via eBay?

(...) Yep, I'm a classicist, but I never managed to take German (if I hadn't switched career paths right before I graduated I would have had to take it, of course) or any other modern language besides Russian. And I didn't have much choice about (...) (25 years ago, 25-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: "Bundling" sets for auctions doesn't work well.

(...) I think that point isn't difficult to reach; rarely does someone want everything in a bundle (which is often why it has been bundled in the first place). <snipped point about the detriments of bundling> (...) Which is why many won't mess with (...) (25 years ago, 26-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Mike Stanley - Off Topic: Re: No really - a rational discussion ...

Mike, my most sincere best wishes for the health and comfort of your inlaws. David Zorn (25 years ago, 26-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: No really - a rational discussion of people selling via eBay?

(...) Well, I don't know if anyone is still following this thread (this message is a month old), but the correct spelling is "Weltanschauung". The online dictionary that I usually use, (URL) lists this word with a capital W. I forget exactly, but I (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jun-99, to lugnet.market.theory)