 Marketplace / Theory / 58
Re: No really - a rational discussion of people selling via eBay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 16:33:55 GMT

Janet Zorn <lighthouse@bonzai.net> wrote:
Mike Stanley wrote in message ...

:>It is a weltanshaung.
:Mmmmm.... a new word.  German?

Mike, your the classicist, right? Maybe I'm spelling it wrong. The
word
I want is German for what we usually call "world view" (but to me auf
Deutch, it is more onomatopoetic).

Yep, I'm a classicist, but I never managed to take German (if I hadn't
switched career paths right before I graduated I would have had to
take it, of course) or any other modern language besides Russian.  And
I didn't have much choice about Russian, since that's what the Army
told me to learn.

See this is where I just have a real problem seeing the difference in
the
word scalper. But maybe my inability is just based on symantics. You
and
Steve both said that the main criterion was truth in advertising. I
would call
the people that make the false "RARE" claims liars not scalpers. To me
the
L-word is worse. But since the scalper isn't coercive, if you don't
castigate
the buyer how can you castigate the seller. But I will admit this.
Mine is the
odd opinion out.

Mmmmm.  I see what you're saying.  For me, as you've probably guessed,
liar is implied by scalper, at least in most cases.

I'm still not sure how I can castigate the buyer, especially when it
would appear to be obvious that in some, if not most, cases the buyer
is simply suffering from ignorance of a particular item's value.  But
I do see what you're saying - nobody is forcing the buyer to buy.

I'll try to dig it up. Give me a few weeks to find and post citations
here.

Roger that.

PS, Yesterday my children out of the blue said they wanted to go to
Tennessee. They didn't know why. My first though was - the home
state of the infamous Mike Stanley. How would I explain to my wife
why I wanted to stop in the middle of vacation to see the Lego
collection of some guy on the internet? You and my wife are safe,
we are headed for Toronto this summer, eh.

Whahahahahahaha!  I'm afraid it wouldn't be that impressive.  My Lego
room has been taken over by a king size bed we had to setup for my
wife's parents for their frequent trips to Knoxville for chemo and
other things.  All of the Lego stuff I consider part of *my*
collection is locked away in the closet, albeit a large closet that is
packed top to bottom, while the only things visible in the room itself
are all of the sets I have waiting to be broken up for parts auctions.

Still, considering those sets are packed floor to ceiling on two
walls, they do look sorda cool.

Oh, I lied.  I do have part of my collection in the room itself, just
because I've never wanted to take them down.  I have my 6071's built
and displayed on top of a bookshelf, but they look kinda lonely now.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide