 Marketplace / Theory / 45
Re: No really - a rational discussion of people selling via eBay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 02:17:53 GMT

Janet Zorn <lighthouse@bonzai.net> wrote:
I was kind of surprised by your remark and surprised by the barbs
sent your way. Having accidently started a brouhahah on lugnet once
and not wanting to try Todd's patience since he is such a gracious
host,
I didn't want to join in. I don't want to be the initiator of
controversies. But
this time you brought it up here for a rational discussion. So.....

Oh, I think any discussion here, especially if it remains rational and
doesn't involve making degrading remarks about people, is good.

Let me start of by saying I'm an economist. It is not just a job or a
degree.
It is a weltanshaung.

Mmmmm.... a new word.  German?

In general, to economists, scalper is not a meaningful term./1/ People
have things that others want more than they do and they want to get as
much as they can for those things. What they can get is determined by
how much people want them. Do you have to sell at cost not to be a
scalper? How much profit can you make before you are labeled a
scalper?

To me, someone who is most certainly _not_ an economist, I don't
really think the amount of profit is what makes someone a scalper,
especially in this specific "ebay Lego scalper" sense.

So, your initial comment really didn't make sense to me. To help me
see
your side I'd need to hear what makes someone a scalper, not just why
you are not one.

I'm responding without reading the whole thing first, so I may have to
come back and edit this to make sense.

What makes someone a scalper on eBay?  That's a little difficult.  I
think it mostly has to do with ... integrity?

Person A lists several of the new Ep1 sets and splashes all over the
title and description, "RARE!, Hard-to-Find!" etc.

Person B lists the same items without all the hype, at least without
all the untrue hype.

To me, one of those is a scalper.  One isn't.  One's kinda dumb for
selling current sets, maybe, but given the way things sometimes go on
eBay, maybe not.

I could cite many more examples, but I think that one might illustrate
my opinion as clear as any others.

So I would defend your selling on ebay any item for any amount, just
like I'd defend anyone's buying on ebay for any amount.

Oh, the amounts sometimes add fuel to the fire, but I don't really
fault anyone for the high amounts.  Even someone who describes their
stuff in a misleading way doesn't force someone else to pay a high
price for it, although I guess the seller does bear some blame in that
case.

I admit to being very amazed at the willingness to pay on ebay. It is
almost scandalous. When there are people willing to pay such high
prices then you can be sure there will be people who are happy to
accept their money if they can trade what they want. Why are the
sellers
bad and the bidders only fools? One could just as easily say that the

Not sure, but I don't think I would feel comfortable condemning
someone for spending their own money.  If Buyer A decides to spend 5x
as much as any other buyer would spend on an item (technically
impossible on eBay, I know, since Buyer A would only have to pay a
small bit more than the next highest bidder) that's ultimately his
business.

It is just funny to me that people often castigate scalpers but not
the
scalpees. People think the scalpees are crazy, but they impute impure
motives to the scalpers. Both of these people wanted something
different than what they had before the transaction (cash or scout
troupers).

Mmmmmm.... I guess I just see a difference between the two.  In some
ways I do get irritated when I see someone driving the price up on
things that I know wouldn't go for such a high price under normal
circumstances, but again, it's his/her money.

PS I just ordered a single 4552 from S@H for $38.50. I had been
offered that set for as much as $75.00./2/ I only really want one. I
know
that they routinely auction for the high sixties+shipping. Why didn't
I buy
all that were left and auction them? I don't know. It didn't occur to
me
until I hung up. And I just didn't feel like going into the lego
business
enough to call back.

And that's your decision to make.  If you'd gone the other way and
you'd simply put them up for auction without describing them in a
dishonest way, I'd say even if they sold for $200 each you wouldn't
qualify as a scalper.

/1/ There has actually been some scholarly literature on this in
recent
years about why "scalping" is and should or should not be illegal. If
anyone is interested and patient I can try to find the cites.

I'd be interested in seeing it.  I hear lots of talk about scalping
UTK football tickets, so it isn't just a Lego-related topic for me.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide