 Marketplace / Theory / 61
Re: "Bundling" sets for auctions doesn't work well.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 00:44:58 GMT

I've been told (and I've found it to be true in my own auctions) that
"bundling" things together for auction usually does not increase the bid
value very much, and sometimes even makes it go down (people only want
one set, and figure someone else will bid high for all the sets
together).

It may depend on the general price range the items are falling into.
Generally, the more bundled something is, the greater the number of people
who will be attracted to something inside the bundle.  But above a certain
point, it becomes detrimental.

I think that point isn't difficult to reach; rarely does someone want
everything in a bundle (which is often why it has been bundled in the
first place).

<snipped point about the detriments of bundling>

But if the bundle is selling for something affordable by anyone, say, $15 to
$35, then people are much less likely to pair up -- because that's often more
of a hassle than just buying it and reselling the unneeded components.

Which is why many won't mess with the bundle in the first place.

So small value packs that originally sold for $10 (such as 1967 or 1974)
have gone for as much $40 or $70 when sold as a set, and it's unlikely
that the individual sets alone would have totalled that amount.  I've seen

I don't see the correlation between being "bundled" and bringing in a
higher price here. It seems that the novelty of having the "complete"
bundle was what pushed the price higher than normal, for the same reason
that complete sets bring in higher prices than those with parts missing.
This bundled set was meant to go together, though maybe we're talking
apples and oranges.

If you mean sets that originally were bundled, or are a whole
series/complete set, then yes, those can (and often do) bring higher
values than their component sets otherwise would. If you mean that
bundling a couple of random (or even well-selected by theme, etc.) set
together can bring a higher value, I've never seen that happen; usually
it's the opposite.

<snipped the extended bundling example>

Adam

bwappo@ee.net