 Marketplace / Theory / 1437
Re: auczilla XII: got yours yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:09:51 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:

some hapless customer writes:
i've emailed auczilla numerous times, but have heard no reply.
let me know if  any of you have had any success!

I'm sorry for not writing back.  Usually, if there's a question answerable
from the FAQ, that's where I usually direct someone, or if there isn't a
question or there's a question I can't answer, I sometimes forget to write
back.  Your mail on May 18 didn't ask any questions (you just mentioned that
you'd be out of town until June 5) and your mail on June 15 requested that
your package be shipped to an alternate address if it wasn't ready by June 20.

< huge amount of snippage>

FUT to theory because this touches on the general question, what is a
reasonable customer service expectation?

None of my remarks are meant to desparage or otherwise insult anyone or how
they do business.

I answer these questions out of my experience gained from selling/auctioning
Lego to pay my rent and expenses.  I am currently unemployed but I have had
to rely on my hobby to live now = ) However, much of what I learned was as a
Saleman of capital equipment and medical devices in one form or another for
almost 10 years.

MESSAGES:  Should be responded to ASAP (generally 24 hours or less barring
unforseen events or holidays/weekends)

  I think it is not unreasonable to have 24 hour turnaround time or much
less on e-mail messages and phone calls/faxes (yes some AFOLS fax requests
to me)...
I have been out of town frequently and experienced internet connection
problems from weather events here, but I generally respond ASAP.
Communication is essential and should be expedient.
  Since this is a hobby and not top priority for many people (even me while
I interview, sometimes) trade deals can take a long time to complete.  I
have been lax in a few transactions lately, but I am cleaning that up.
Essentially, I am trying not to let people I trade with be any different
than paying customers.  I have made mstakes in this that I am trying to rectify.

In the past I was on call 24-7 by Dr.s and hospitals...I sold surgical
instruments, so rapid response was mandatory because I risked injury to my
reputation, loss of sales/market share, or massive inonvenince to patients
and surgeons (which nobody forgets and costs everyone time and money)  I try
to apply this "sense of urgency" to my dealings now, especially eBay auctions.
I am somewhat fanatical about concluding these transactions immediately.

SHIPPING:  I think 24-48 hours after payment (or after check clears) is a
reasonable expectation.  Packaging should be thoughtfully prepared, so as to
avoid damage or loss.

AUCTIONS:  Should be concluded promptly.

I use eBay, Yahoo, etc. I don't run my own auction website.  Todd states
clearly that Auczilla takes a long time to ship.  I am not comfortable with
that, so I don't bid...that simple.  I don't mean this as an insult, just a
fact.  Personally, I would imagine that I would make a payment and forget I
bought them and then buy the elemnts I needed elsewhere.  If I participated
in Auczilla, I would pretty much view it as donating to a charity or PBS or
somethin and getting a coffee mug in the mail...not as a retail/auction
transaction.  Generally, when I need elements, I am cramming building time
in somewhere, so I need my parts quickly.

  Due to availibility of a 7 day aweek Post Office...I can generally ship
the same day I receive payment...this has paid off tremendously for
me...good eBay feedback and ansillary non-eBay sales from satisfied
customers looking for special items down the road.  Fast shipping also
allows me to free up precious space in my small 2 bedroom apartment...I
literally have Lego in all rooms (even stored in rubbermaid tubs in an
unused shower.  Generally, Fast shipping has become a hallmark for me.

Is being honest and accurate "good
enough", or does one have to be fast too?

Do you mean this generally or specifically referring to Auczilla?

GENERALLY:
Honest and accurate are essential to me.  I try to represent my items with
as much detail as possible and I tell customers if they aren't 100%
satisfied, I refund their money (including shippng on large items)...no
complaints yet.  I try to go above and beyond.

Does it have to be fast too, probably not.  BUT, when I let things linger, I
have found the situation can lead to complications.  For me, fast is
essential in buying and selling.  Fast shipping often has many benefits (
mentioned briefly below)

How much of a life is one entitled to
have if one has customers?

LIFE?:  It's a personal decision...what are your priorities?

I am a single guy that doesn't have kids, a mortgage, or a current career.
For me now, as in my previous occupation, the "job" has usurped much of my
personal time.  I use a webtv....hooked directly into my living room TV so I
am multi-tasking much of the time.  I can be watching a movie when the red
e-mail light draws me from relaxing to business.  I don't have friends over
to watch movies and hangout much anymore because I like to conduct my
business privately and many of them "just don't get the Lego thing".  I
believ I am entitled to a life, but right now, quite frankly, I don't have
the option to let $$$ slip way.  It's about priorities I guess; for me,
right now, my life takes a back seat to customers.  I am not suffering per
se, but I might not be as attentive w/ a regular and substantial revenue stream.

                        John