 Marketplace / Theory / 1432
Re: Interesting way of sabotaging an auction - if the seller is overseas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 07:11:40 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Scott Arthur writes:

I suppose I was annoyed as it happened so early into the auction - when s/he
had so long to ask me about it. I have calmed down now though.

??

Isn't it *better* that it happened early on? The worst retraction is when a bid
so large that it scared everyone else off is retracted at the very last second,
allowing the second bidder to get it for much less

(scenario: opening bid 10. A bids 30, has it for 10. B bids 200. A rebids and
rebids but won't go past 150. So now the bid is at 150. No one else bids
because it's so high. B retracts at the last second, and the bid falls all the
way back down to 10 where A gets it.... exaggerated for effect of course)

THAT's the worst possible retraction.

An early retraction is almost no harm done, i say.

++Lar