 Marketplace / Theory / 1431
Re: Interesting way of sabotaging an auction - if the seller is overseas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 02:13:04 GMT

"Kevin Wilson" <kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com> wrote in message
Scott A wrote:
I have auction running now. Less than 12 hours into it I have a bid
retraction:
He states:
"I believe there will be a duty fee. I'm not sure I can pay that"

i THINK IF i WERE YOU i'D ADD SOMETHING TO TEH AUCTION DESCRIPTION
sCOTT, (oops caps lock!) pointing out that there's no duty on
construction toys (ie Lego) being imported into teh US.

But duty (or sales taxes) is payable in many other countries.

The charitable interpretation of the behaviour described is that the person
is new to buying over the internet and was, at the time of bidding, unaware
that their own country (wherever it is) will impose import duties on goods
sent into the country. Having now discovered about the import duties, the
person has realised that the total cost to them will now be significantly
higher than they had thought, and have hence rushed out and retracted all
their bids.

Of course, according to the eBay rules on bid retractions, they probably
should not retract their bids in these circumstances (since they should have
investigated the import implications before bidding). However, the behaviour
would at least be capable of innocent explanation.

However, if the person wasn't in a different country from all the sellers
affected by their retractions, or if the person's country doesn't impose
import duties, or if the retractions occurred over a period of time (as
opposed to all together), then you would have to suspect that person is
deliberating abusing the retraction system.

Kerry