 Marketplace / Theory / 1464
Re: Interesting way of sabotaging an auction - if the seller is overseas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 06:15:47 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, John Robert Blaze Kanehl writes:

I got a couple e-mails in a 6 month period from 2 seperate bidders saying
I should ship my items for free or throw in alot of extra stuff since the
lots had reached a premium price...

Why would it be any of their business?  You state the terms of the sale up
front and you and the bidders are all contractually obligated to stand by them.

Exactly my thoughts!

"Hey, since I bid a stupid amount of money for your twelve 1x2 bricks with
smiley printing, couldn't you throw in a bunch of silver 2x4s to make me feel
not so stupid?"

Generally, I don't really think this sould be expected of me as a seller.

  In cases where some lots have fetched a much better than expected price, I
have thrown in more of the same element for prompt payment or included some
nice related elements in the interest of fostering good will.  Heck, one
lady e-mailed me that her son loved the pirate sets his older friend had, so
I threw in a couple figs, a monkey and various other little elements (I felt
bad for her 6 year old, she paid handsomely for the lot, and it was Christmas)

The bitter bidders in the auctions I was discusng before I digressed above,
did not win.  I think they were looking for a "deal"...something like they
would guarantee they won if I threw in something I would rather
auction...However, the tone of their messages sounded like they were mad
that they were outbid and felt that I was a parasite/scalper/opportunist
getting much more than 10 cents per part for my lots...Ironically the items
in question had an opening bid of $1 with no reserve...market forces carried
the bidding up ...not me...lol...neiter person responded to this explanation
BTW.

You know what I've spent stupid amounts of money on stuff just because I didn't
know what it was worth and obviously someone else was bidding too.  Oh well.
Typically I just buy it.  Recently I offered to buy out my obligation to
purchase on two items from eBay because I'd found a much cheaper source since
making the bids.  Both sellers took my proposed deal and were very cordial
about it.

Interesting strategy...I never thought to do that...or had anyone propose
that to me...

Your experience is weird.  How did you respond?

Chris

As I mentioned above, I e-mailed the bidders and stuck to the facts.  I told
them that it was unfortunate they didn't win, but that I had nothing to do
with the closing cost of the lots.  I was experienting at that time with
marketing my wares...I never thought these items would be so popular.  I
started my lots at $1.00 and let "nature and the market" take it's course.
I pointed to other Lego examples like Fort Legoredo and Pirate BSBs that
were selling for hundreds at the time; a closing price much higher than a
few cents per piece.

I bet these people would have probably complained if I started the bidding
at $10, $50 etc.

                     John