 Marketplace / Theory / 1335
1334  |  1336
Subject:
Was P.T.Barnum Right! - No!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 22:27:47 GMT

Eric McCarthy wrote:
My experience is mixed on this.  Usually people are happy to learn
where they can get things cheaper.  But if they just won something
in your auction, it can be insulting for you to tell them that they
could have gotten it cheaper somewhere else, since it might make them
feel stupid.  Even though they are *not* stupid, just uninformed;
still, they might feel insulted, and it is not a good idea to insult
one's customers.

  First, Thanks for all insight everbody offered, It was very interesting! I
have resolved the issue this way: I avereged out the last 20 auctions of the
bulk bricks I did and decided to give him the average price which totals an
$11.00 refund which I will send him when he confirms receipt and satisfaction
of the product. I feel satisfied with this now.  John

In lugnet.market.theory, Christopher Lindsey writes:
Life is fraught with risks...  :)  But I'd rather have a clear
conscience than not hurt a customer's feelings.  I think the
long-term benefits outweigh the short-term ones, and besides,
they're bound to find out eventually.  Imagine how they'd feel
if they bought 10 times as much stuff before discovering LUGNET
et al!