 Marketplace / Theory / 1323
Re: Was P.T.Barnum Right? -Or- Should I feel Guilty?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 18:09:21 GMT

john hadd wrote:

Kevin, Rich, Mike, Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoytee-toytee about it, I'm in
it to lower the cost of my habit... But you can buy the buckets for $48.00 max
thru e-tailers. The reason I break 'um up is to provide a service to the person
who wants the lot I offer, and doesn't want the other stuff. It's just that
buying them all sort of defeats the purpose of my service. I guess I can not
second guess why a person does what they do... Maybe there is a reason for his
purchase, But thru my correspondence with him, I get the feeling he is
uninformed. I don't think it is my responsibilty to teach the world my tricks
but... Anyway, If I sell the lots 1 at a time I can get about what he paid, so
that is the guilt eliminator I going with right now.  John

I recently struggled with the same thing on a #5788.  I ended up asking
the buyer a lot of questions to see if they were going to keep buying,
were just getting back into LEGO building, or if it was a one-time
deal.  Turns out that they had just started trying to collect all of
the Adventurer's series, so I gave them a pointer to LUGNET and S@H,
explaining that there were probably better deals to be had.  They were
thrilled with the information and didn't feel bad at all about the price
that they paid me, but were very grateful about my honesty.  I also felt
much better.

If it had been a one-time purchase on their part, I probably wouldn't
have said anything.  But it sounds like you also aren't trying to gouge
people (which I admire), so I think it's ultimately up to you to decide
what you feel comfortable with.

If I was uncomfortable (not that this is really relevant to your
situation), I would probably tell the buyer that they're paying above
market value, but if they really needed the pieces I would sell them at
this price.  If they came back and said they were no longer interested,
then I would offer them at a reduced rate.  But then again, maybe I'm
also one of those suckers that Barnum was talking about.  :)

Chris (who rambled on and probably didn't offer anything constructive)

--
Remove the nospam machine name in my email address to send a personal
reply.