 Marketplace / Theory / 1326
Re: Was P.T.Barnum Right? -Or- Should I feel Guilty?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 19:19:06 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Christopher Lindsey writes:
[previous msgs snipped]
I recently struggled with the same thing on a #5788.  I ended up asking
the buyer a lot of questions to see if they were going to keep buying,
were just getting back into LEGO building, or if it was a one-time
deal.  Turns out that they had just started trying to collect all of
the Adventurer's series, so I gave them a pointer to LUGNET and S@H,
explaining that there were probably better deals to be had.  They were
thrilled with the information and didn't feel bad at all about the price
that they paid me, but were very grateful about my honesty.  I also felt
much better. • ...
If I was uncomfortable (not that this is really relevant to your
situation), I would probably tell the buyer that they're paying above
market value, but if they really needed the pieces I would sell them at
this price.  If they came back and said they were no longer interested,
then I would offer them at a reduced rate.  But then again, maybe I'm
also one of those suckers that Barnum was talking about.  :)

My experience is mixed on this.  Usually people are happy to learn
where they can get things cheaper.  But if they just won something
in your auction, it can be insulting for you to tell them that they
could have gotten it cheaper somewhere else, since it might make them
feel stupid.  Even though they are *not* stupid, just uninformed;
still, they might feel insulted, and it is not a good idea to insult
one's customers.

/Eric McC/