 Marketplace / Theory / 1330
Re: Was P.T.Barnum Right? -Or- Should I feel Guilty?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 20:14:13 GMT

Eric McCarthy wrote:

My experience is mixed on this.  Usually people are happy to learn
where they can get things cheaper.  But if they just won something
in your auction, it can be insulting for you to tell them that they
could have gotten it cheaper somewhere else, since it might make them
feel stupid.  Even though they are *not* stupid, just uninformed;
still, they might feel insulted, and it is not a good idea to insult
one's customers.

Life is fraught with risks...  :)  But I'd rather have a clear
conscience than not hurt a customer's feelings.  I think the
long-term benefits outweigh the short-term ones, and besides,
they're bound to find out eventually.  Imagine how they'd feel
if they bought 10 times as much stuff before discovering LUGNET
et al!

Here's how I started my note...

   Well, if you're still buying...  I hesitated to mention this because
   didn't want you to feel bad.  But since it sounds like it wasn't a
one-
   time thing, I'll let you in on some secrets...

   I'll preface this by saying that the price that you paid for that
Lego
   set isn't a bad one by any means.  But last week it went on sale
through
   a service called "Lego Shop at Home" (S@H).

   Usually S@H sells older sets from two to three years ago, so I was
   surprised when they carried the Forbidden Ruins set, and I felt kind
   of guilty after the auction had already ended and you'd sent your
   money order.  Of course, I didn't get it at that price either...  :)
   I had purchased four, decided I only wanted two, and the rest is
   Ebay history.

I suppose you can also always tell them after they've paid and left
feedback...  :)

Chris

P.S.  Again, these are just my personal views that I'm sharing because
      I know you all have nothing better to do than read this.  I'm
      not saying that anybody is right or wrong, just that this is the
      path that *I* feel most comfortable with.  And if it helps someone
      out, great!  If not, I hope I was at least mildly entertaining.
:)

--
Remove the nospam machine name in my email address to send a personal
reply.