 Marketplace / Shopping / 7805
Re: Shell Promo Availability?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 00:27:59 GMT

"Matthew Teets" <matthew.teets@sciatl.com> wrote in message
news:GGwBuA.53I@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.market.shopping, Enrique Durand writes:
I was wondering about the Shell promo sets numbered 1252-1256. Are they
available currently, or did I miss out on them? All the Shell stations • near me
have the 1246-1251 promo sets, and seem to have plenty of them, but none • of the
larger sets. Are they available only in certain regions of the U.S.? • Thanks in
advance for your responses - I just got back into Lego after a very, very • long
absence, and realize there is so much I need to catch up on...;)
They are spread out far and between.  I travelled from Atlanta, Georgia to
Columbus, Ohio the July 4th weekend and stopped at every other Shell • station
I saw (I figured I wouldn't find them until I got farther north, hence the
every other one idea.  I figured I would hit the rest on the way back if I
didn't find them).  After 35 stations I had all 4 of them.  If you live
anywhere near I-75 between Georgia and Ohio I can tell you where I found
them at.  Otherwise, your probably just going to have to search REALLY • hard.

Matt

I actually spoke with a woman at Shell last Thursday who actually knew
something about the promo.  It took me four or five calls to get to someone
who knew something.  What I learned is that the individual stations (or
dealers who may have multiple stations) can choose whether or not they want
to participate in the promotion.  If they want to participate they have to
pay a fee or some sort.  It is my understanding (from Cary Clark) that last
fall the dealers did not have to pay the fee (Shell Corporate paid it) hence
the larger number of Shell Stations participating last November and
December.

If you can reach the right person (call 1-888-Go-Shell and wade through menu
options) at Shell Consumer Affairs they can tell you which stations are
participating although they can't tell you if they have all of the sets.
Here in North Carolina there are zero stations within something like a 60
mile radius of Raleigh participating (which is probably good for my LEGO
budget but sucks otherwise).  Most of the stations in NC seem to be in the
Charlotte area or out in the western part of the state.

Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.nclug.net/ctb - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot