 Marketplace / Shopping / 10214
Re: S@H screwed up my order
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 23:30:49 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Larry Lesser writes:
YOU KNOW WHAT. WHO CARES LEGO CHANGES THEIR PARTGS FROM TIME TO TIME.

There is a difference between retiring an item to be replaced by a new
one... and advertising one item but shipping another.  You are right, they
do change parts from time to time.  But if you order a specific part you
should be entitled to receive that part.  You are the customer.  You don't
owe any favors to the company, just the opposite.  If the part is
unavailable, chances are at least 50/50 that the customer does not want
something different.

I AM
NOT GOING TO STOP BUYING LEGO BRICKS AND TO THINK THAT LEGO OWES YOU A CALL.

What would a call cost?  Perhaps 10 minutes out of the day of a sales rep?
What is that call worth?  The long term happiness of an established
customer.  Sounds like a good deal to me.

COME ON YOU CALL YOURSELF A TRUE LEGO BUILDER DEAL WITH IT.

Being a "true LEGO builder" (whatever that is) has nothing to do with being
a satisfied customer.  In fact, in the posting Gail doesn't even mention
being a builder... only a consumer.

Additionally, what if this was a young child who ordered these plates with
some hard-earned paper route money, or cash from some birthday cards?
Making sure that everyone gets what they order is paramount to maintaining
customer satisfaction.  Imagine souring a young person's view of this
excellent company.  Chances are this was an honest mistake and therefore the
prudent thing to do is correct it in anyway necessary.

While I am as guilty as anyone of complaining about the LEGO company, I am
also a strong proponent of consumer rights.  While we all should be glad
that the product lines at LEGO are changing, we shouldn't let our gratitude
become a license for the company to do as they please.  Remember... without
us (meaning all people in general who buy their products) the company is
nothing.  Try this little experiment.  Let's have everyone who's a customer
of the LEGO company stop buying their products.  What happens?  No more LEGO
company.  See how dependant upon us they are?  And that's the way it should
be.  Being a company who sells products to the public is doing so as a
priviledge, not a right.  Everyone working for LEGO owes their jobs to us
and they should work in whatever way possible to make sure we keep coming
back for more.  To not do so is to indicate that you're in the wrong line of
work.

I worked in retail sales for more almost a decade.  And each day my job
entailed only one important item; make sure every customer who came in the
store got the kind of service that I myself would expect.  Every other task
is secondary and can wait until your customers are happy.  Working with the
general public, this is the minimum, not a bonus.

I now work for internal clients.  My department produces software used by
other departments within our organization.  My role hasn't changed a bit.
My work represents my role in pleasing our customers.  If we produce poor
software, our clients aren't happy.  If they aren't happy, I'm out of a job.
It's that simple.  My job is a priviledge and is one that I try to earn
every day. The LEGO company is no less culpable with regard to how they
treat their customers.

My advice to Gail is this:

1)  Call customer service and treat them with respect and courtesy, as you
yourself expect to be treated.  No need for anger or harsh words.  Chances
are this can be resolved in a satisfactory manner within a short time.

2)  Failing that... ask to speak with a supervisor or manager of the
customer service area.  Again, without anger, but this time with frustration
and expressing your history as a customer and loyalty to the company.

3)  Failing that... time to start writing some letters to those who count.
Believe it or not, people still read letters and it is still possible to get
a letter to someone in charge of a corporation.  If that person doesn't care
about your problem, then they've lost themselves a customer forever... and
have forever created someone who will spread bad word-of-mouth wherever they
go.  No corporate exec worth their salt wants that.  I've seen many a
situation end quickly by just getting the right people involved.

Chances are, knowing this company's reputation, that things will never get
beyond step one.  But again... we cannot simply allow a company to become
complacent or arrogant.  For a company who sells toys, making money is a
gift.  They need to earn and maintain our respect and happiness in order to
deserve that gift.

Regards,
Allan B.

In lugnet.market.shopping, Gail Meagher writes:

I'm annoyed...I'm very annoyed.

Back in November when I saw that the road plates were being replaced
(something I had to see on the web site, no sign of it in the catalogue
they sent about that time), I mailed(1) in an order, including a bunch
of road plates.  I wouldn't even have ordered then except I got involved
in NovaLUG, and displayed LEGO trains in two train shows.

The parcel arrived today.  Instead of my nice roadplates I was
expecting, they sent me 14 pairs of the new ones.  I don't want them.  I
didn't order them.  They have both my email address and my phone
number.  They could have asked me if I wanted the replacement.  They
could have told me they were sold out.  Instead they ship me things I
don't want, and I have to pay to ship them back!  They even have some of
the road plates I wanted still in stock (t-plates), but still sent me
something I didn't order.

How am I supposed to tell people about LEGO trains, most of which can
only be ordered through S@H, and encourage them, when I know S@H treats
me like dirt.  I've been a loyal consumer of LEGO for almost 10 years
(as an adult).  I deserve better.

Gail Meagher

(1) As a Canadian, if I want to pay in Canadian dollars, I need to send
in a cheque, they only bill credit cards in US dollars, at whatever the
exchange rate is plus the cut the credit card companies take(2).

(2) An entirely different reason I'm annoyed with S@H since they closed
most of LEGO Canada.