 Marketplace / Services / 255
Re: PayPal Changes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 11:55:25 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.market.services, Charles Eric McCarthy writes:
Hrm...what is X.com then if X.com bought up PayPal?  X.com must be
something much more?  I don't have an X.com account -- only PayPal.

X.com or X Finance is a genuine bank account (check book, debit/credit card,
wire transfers, etc.).  When it was free, it was a great service.  I just
cancelled my account when I got email telling me that there would be a
$12/month charge for balance under $100 which I often maintain because I shift
all the funds to Paypal for ease of use.

X.com and Paypal accounts were never merged.  Paypal turned into "X Paypal"
and X.com turned into "X Finance".  You can see the radio buttons on their
home page.

Yup.  I do believe that they will continue to integrate the two services,
though.

Ahh.  OK, strange.  Hmm.  So, X bought PayPal and renamed the service from
"PayPal" to "X PayPal" but the accounts for each are still incompatible?  Is
that right?  If you have an X account and no PayPal account, you can't send
money from X to PayPal and vice versa?  That seems bizarre.

Yes, it is.  And even if you do have both accounts, it's not just a piece of
cake.  To get funds from X Finance to X Paypal, you can just sign up your
paypall account to interact with your X Finance account as it would any bank
account, so that if you send payment in excess of your Paypal balance, it just
automagically slurps funds from the X Finance account.  It's also easy to
manually slurp those funds across.  OTOH, if you want to transfer X Paypal
funds into the X Finance account, you have to perform a wire transfer that
takes fourish days, but at least it's free.

I believe that a significant amount of the difficulty getting their two sides
meshed comes from banking law which is pretty restrictive.  Certainly the
technical hurdles would be trivial.

Chris