 Marketplace / Services / 219
Re: PayPal Changes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 18:14:34 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Alan Demlow writes:
In addition to this, X.com now has a $100 average monthly minumum balance.
Violators will be charged a $12 (yes, that's correct) monthly account
maintenance fee.  I'm guessing that in both cases (PayPal and X), people • simply
aren't keeping the amount of money in their accounts that they need to take
care of their overhead.  Looks like the free ride is over...

Yep.

This fee, for those wondering where it is described, is buried in
the "announcements" section after you log in to your account.  It's rather
hard to find, I just went looking for it again and I can't seem to locate it.
I think you may only get a chance to see it once per login or even once
overall per userid. Maybe non users can't even see it, I dunno.

I did get mail from X about it, though, telling me of the coming changes.

I'm in the camp that is disappointed by these developments but not too
surprised, although X and PayPal are certainly within their rights, I sort of
had hoped they had figured out how to deliver these services for less than
their competition. Seems they actually haven't, and they no doubt have burned
through their VC funding and now have to figure out how to make money.

Shoulda known, though... TANSTAAFL. I'm sure we'll get snarly posts from the
free lunch crowd about how it's not fair and all that, nevertheless.

Nice ride while it lasted. I guess my plan to exit factoring may be a bit
premature. So if I'm going to have to stick I need to look into some
automation to make it easier (and some fee rebalancing again, it's been 6
months since my last rebalance, things have improved a bit but can stand more
tinkering)

++Lar