 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 1510
Re: Technic Box #2 Update -shipped (was: Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.jambalaya
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 04:07:53 GMT

In lugnet.market.jambalaya, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.market.jambalaya, Rob Hendrix writes:
I would be lying if I said the box box was a treasure trove.  It did
have "some" good pieces in it.  The rest of the pieces were in there
for "fill" factor.  I haven't seen Technic Box 1, so I am not able to compare
the two.  After I do get this box back, then I can decide (through input from
you guys) what an AWESOME technic box should include.  This is only my first
box, so I'm still in the learning stage of jambalaya boxes.  So please, put
away your torches and garden tools (joke).  Maybe next time the box will be
around 2 lbs.  with nothing but the best in it.  But, then, why would I want
to lose all my prized pieces...???

I think it is better to keep the boxes close to two pounds, I'm willing to
spend $3.20 for the chance to possibly get some neat pieces.

The problem on these Jambalaya boxes is that very few parts are worth paying
much to get the opportunity to trade, especially when one is expected to
increase the value. Now if I had received Chris's box in the mail with what it
had when I traded with it at Brickfest, I would have bubbled over with joy, as
a bonus, I got to trade with it without paying postage. I got to trade a • couple
shooting cannon service packs for a bunch of Fabuland stuff (and I think using
auction values, I increased the value of the box). I just wish I had had more
time with the box, I think I might have found a bit more (and had I had it at
home, would have had more variety of stuff to put in it). I didn't look very
far past the Fabuland bag (and I only took about 1/2 the Fabuland which was in
it). That box was worth it because Fabuland is just so hard to find over here,
and is also something many people wouldn't be interested in.

I must admit that I was probably not a good candidate for a Technic box. I got
on the list as much to see what might be in it. I ended up taking out some
beams and plates in colors I didn't have much of. I tried to put in a good
variety of stuff, and avoided putting in stuff the box was already filled • with,
but as a minimal Technic collector, I didn't have a huge variety of stuff to
trade, and also was not looking for very much.

The boxes I have felt best about actually are the junk boxes. The one which
came to me, I did find a couple pieces from, and put some bits that someone
might actually use (like some roadplates which were painted or had some glue
on, but still quite useable, just not worth keeping when they came out of a
bulk purchase where the baseplates filled a copier paper box), and basically
got rid of a lot of my junk. The box I started got rid of a lot more of my
junk, and passed the poor condition basic bricks which I had extracted from • the
first junk box to someone who wanted them (David - hope you have found those
useful).

What may work better is to send the original Jambalaya boxes which Todd • started
to the various clubs, and just pass them around locally, and occaisionally
exchange with another club when there is an opportunity to pass off by hand,
and avoid postage costs. Then people can make a fairly even trade and can ask
the other folks present, "Hey, do you think this trade is fair?" If I haven't
paid postage for it, who cares if I trade 50 cents worth of parts. If I get
something unusual, or something I needed for a current project, that would be
cool, and I haven't spent $3.20 plus felt like I should contribute $1 worth
of parts to get the 50 cent part.

Frank

Frank,
That may be a good idea, but...

I live in Arkansas.  Check local.us.ar for all the participation I've had
trying to get a local club started.  If I had to exchange parts from a
jambalaya box at a club meeting, there would be about 2 of us swapping parts.
I would have to drive 68 miles one way just to attend a "meeting". And I
believe spending 3 to 5 bucks on a "maybe there are some good parts left in
this box" box for forwarding postage is a lot better than spending 10-15 (or
more) bucks on gas for the drive there and back.

You can't expect everyone to have YOUR values (or mine) when sending these
boxes, or anything of value for trade.  The idea was to take less/give more.
But not everyone gives a hoot what anyone else thinks.  As long as they get
what they wanted, who cares what's left.  They will never see that box again.
But, to even out this whole good versus evil issue, there are more (IMHO) good
natured AFOL's out there than not.  Jambalaya is not an exact science, but
maybe one day it will be better.

I mean, take my box for instance.  It may not have been a gold brick, but at
least I took the time to "give away" over 5 lbs. of my personal collection not
knowing if I would ever see it again or not.  (I wonder how many thousand
pieces that was anyway?)

Please stay tuned...

Rob