 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 10699
Re: a thought about brickbay update postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:05:24 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Amy Hughes writes:
I have no doubt that some people read them, and that they result in sales.
Because currently there are a manageable number of them. What would happen if
every brickbay shop and every ebay lego seller posted here?

I don't know, but that's a pretty big if, imo.  A relatively small
percentage of even the Brickbay sellers post regularly here.

I, for one,
wouldn't come here (lugnet.market, where I'm reading this, not
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, where I never go, anyway) for the non->transaction
oriented posts that are also supposed to appear here.

Well, I read at lugnet.market as well, but since Todd has setup this
hierarchy this way, we will continue to see .bst posts at that level.

This is a group structure that was created specifically for
the type of postings being discussed here.  They don't overlap or
interfere with Classic Space discussions or Lego website discussions

But they *do* overlap and interfere with posts to

lugnet.market.appraisal
lugnet.market.jambalaya
lugnet.market.services
lugnet.market.shipping
lugnet.market.shopping
lugnet.market.theory

How do they interfere?  Because they make you click 10 more one or two extra
times to skim over Brickbay and eBay postings?  I have to do that too for
things I'm not interested in, in EVERY group.

So you want to read .jambalaya postings.  That's great - for you.  I
personally find the whole concept pretty silly and I certainly think all of
the discussion that it generates to be a waste of (my) time.  But I'm not
lobbying for it to be taken out of the .market structure and stuck under
some structure I don't read.

It sounds like you want Brickbay and eBay postings to be relegated to
something OTHER than the market structure - which doesn't make sense to me.
Where should they be?  Even if Todd makes lugnet.market.brickbay and
lugnet.market.ebay (something that has been discussed but obviously isn't
something he wants to do (or has wanted to do) they will show up just the
same when you go to http://news.lugnet.com/market as posts in .bst do now.

UNLESS Todd implements some sort of filtering capability below the main page
like he did for the main page.  Then what I _think_ (and I could be wrong)
you want would work in the way I think you want it to work.

and they do overlap and interfere with posts that use *this* site for
transactions, as apposed to brickbay or ebay.

Yes, I suppose they do.  Overlap, that is.  I'm not convinced that they
"interfere" in any way - you or I don't have to read them, and skimming
through headers either via the web interface (which I use) or a news reader
is pretty easy.

If buy/sell/trade/auction posts had their own hierarchy they wouldn't appear >in
the top-level lugnet.market group.

I just don't see where else they would go - maybe you could make a
suggestion.  They ARE market-related posts.  They are just as valid,
although you feel otherwise because you prefer to shop in a different way,
as a post about wanting to sell 10 Guarded Inn's without using Brickbay or
eBay.  What would you suggest - lugnet.offsite.market.brickbay?  Seems a
pretty tedious and unnecessarily artificial (and incorrect) breakdown, and I
can't imagine it being implemented.

But then when the transaction-oriented
groups got so full people didn't read them anymore the undisciplined would use
other groups for those posts, just like they do in usenet groups :-)

That's true.

If there were lugnet.market.brickbay and if Todd worked in some kind of
filter you could choose to not have .brickbay and .ebay posts appear in
*your* lugnet.market, and I could almost see that happening even though I
think it would be just another push towards infinite compartmentalization
and I wouldn't agree with it.

Why not have lugnet.market.brickbay.tennessee.knoxville.mikestanley?  Then
people like John M. and Pawel N, both of whom pick up orders from me in
person at work (speaking of which, I have both of them in my cube, guys) can
not have to bother reading all those frivolous posts from Joe Smith in
Nevada because his posts will be in
lugnet.market.brickbay.nevada.los-vegas.joesmith ?  Assuming Todd implements
top-level filters.  :)