 Marketplace / Auctions / 4321
Re: Yet another CLUELESS about MIB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 18:47:39 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Mike Poindexter wrote:

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.market.auction, Mike Poindexter wrote:

I don't know about your interpretation, but I always thought the M in MIB
was Mint.  Mint is a condition, not a level of completeness.

'Mint', in a perfect world, means *perfect*.  In a slightly more realistic
world, it means 'in the same condition as it left the factory'.  'Mint' is • a
heavily misused and abused term.

Consulting Websters Dictionary, mint is defined as: adj. not marred or
soiled, as if new.

That once again defines a level of condition, not completeness.

When a set is bought from a store, there is a strong expectation that the set is
complete.  Completeness is part of the 'as if new' condition.

I realize there are a certain percentage of sets which leave the factory with
missing, wrong, or damaged piece(s).  This is normal (as buyers, we want a very
low percentage, but LEGO hasn't managed to reduce the percentage to zero).  I
expect that if I buy an unopened set on auction, the auctioneer might describe
it as Mint, even though there is no way of verifying that all the pieces are
included.  The set is 'as if new' -- that's the way it left the factory.

In Larry P.'s auctions, he refers to this as 'the missing piece risk'.

Steve