 Marketplace / Auctions / 4306
Re: Yet another CLUELESS about MIB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:21:40 GMT

massive editing for space

I believe time has come to stop arguing about dictionary definitions.  More
often than not what a word actually means in context is different from the
definition.

In the context of a collectable "whatever" environment, in comic books Mint
means a perfectly printed, uncirculated book.  There are plenty of brand new
books with printers errors.  Those books do not qualify as mint, even if you
never open it to read it.
Granted, you can't check the condition of pieces inside a sealed box, that is
why you list them as Mint in Sealed Box because it is the same, barring
shipping wear, as when the factory made it.

Mint in collectable toys means as the factory shipped it.  Unless the factory
shorted the door piece missing in this item, it is not mint.  No reputable toy
dealer would call an item missing a piece a mint item.
Mint in collecting toys like Lego inherently implies that all the pieces are
there.

And your coin collection analogy is flawed.  Each individual coin may be in
various "mint" conditions, but each one was a separate product.  Coins are not
graded as a collection, each is handled individually.

The person offering the lot should have listed it as "Like new, missing 1
piece, in original box" and that would have avoided confusion.

Yes, I have been a toy dealer, not for a few years though.
And I am a toy collector, and stamps and a long while ago, coins.