 Marketplace / Auctions / 4302
Re: Yet another CLUELESS about MIB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 17:19:08 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Mike Poindexter wrote:

I don't know about your interpretation, but I always thought the M in MIB
was Mint.  Mint is a condition, not a level of completeness.

'Mint', in a perfect world, means *perfect*.  In a slightly more realistic
world, it means 'in the same condition as it left the factory'.  'Mint' is a
heavily misused and abused term.

(In the eBay world, 'Mint' means 'I really want to sell this item for a high
price')

The IB is for
In Box, which is not the same as MISB, a Sealed Box, which implies
completeness.

'In Box' is redundant.  A set cannot be Mint if there's no box.

Likewise, 'Sealed' is redundant.  A set cannot be Mint if the seals have been
broken.

This is an incomplete set MIB - condition Mint, with Box, but
not complete.

Nope.  A set cannot be Mint if it is missing pieces.  Period, the end.

It might be that the individual pieces can be accurately described as Mint, but
not the entire set.

The stickers are not applied, but included.  Sounds like MIB - missing one
piece to me.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, 'missing a piece' means that it
ain't Mint.

How would you describe a set in mint condition that is missing a few pieces
and still has the box?

'In great condition, but missing a piece.  Piece X, to be exact.  All other
pieces are in perfect, mint condition.'

MIB is not necessarily perfect.  MISB would be, with the possible exception
of a battered (but still sealed) box.

Nope.  Mint is perfect.  Damaged box, opened box, missing box, missing
instructions, applied stickers, missing pieces, all these things mean the set is
*not* mint.

Steve