 Marketplace / Auctions / 205
Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:40:53 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

<snip>

OTOH: I've dealt with Thomas before. I no doubt would have been very happy to
do a side transaction with him on this lot of stuff, as would many other
RTLers, and I imagine he would have got just about as much. Is the extra 10
bucks worth rewarding a sniper?

Well, there are two reasons I use eBay to sell Lego:

1) When I'm not sure what something is worth and want to let the market
determine value.
2) When I want to sell and item quickly.

In this case, I wasn't sure what this lot was worth but wanted a faster
turn-around time than a traditional auction could afford.  Of course, I
also wanted to maximize the money I could get from this lot.  While
side-transactions are a good idea and I'm sure Larry would have offered
a fair amount; in this case I wouldn't have known what to ask for or
what to accept as a fair amount.  By auctioning the lot on eBay for a
low starting bid and no reserve, I could just let the demand for the
item decide its value.

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu