 Marketplace / Auctions / 196
Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 23:00:04 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Every time I participate in an eBay auction and get sniped, I vow not to do it
ever again. But sooner or later, some really choice lot comes along, and I
backslide, only to get sniped again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=37153943

I had a 280 bid for days... with 405 as my ceiling. 41 seconds before the end I
got sniped.

Is it a mental problem? How do I break myself of this bad habit that just gets
me more and more annoyed each time it happens?

++Lar

Well, I really thought Larry was going to win this one.  $280 is a large
bid and the winning party had to bid over $405 to get this one.  Even
though I'm sure Larry would have wanted this lot at $411 (it sold for
$410), when the amounts are this large, I think the only thing you can
do is what the system was designed for - put in the highest amount
you're willing to pay and see where it goes.  After all, the winning
party had to put in a very large amount to beat Larry's bid.  I do
understand that this is frustrating and I wish eBay would modify some of
their auction rules to ease this frustration.  A lot of good suggestions
have been made on rtl.

OTOH, sometimes you can get a good deal on eBay - today I just received
an 8840? Technic Helicopter that I won for around $20.  So eBay is not
all bad :)  And in other areas (outside of Lego), sniping doesn't seem
to run as rampant.  I've won things on eBay on which I had the high bid
days before the auction closed.

As for breaking bad habits...take it one day at a time:

Larry (at mirror): "Today I will respect myself enough not to look at
eBay auctions.  I'm good enuf, smart enuf, and doggone it, people on rtl
and LUGNet like me!"

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu