 Marketplace / Auctions / 236
Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 19:45:26 GMT

Once upon a time, Jason Spangler <jasons@usemail.com> wrote:

Don't know if it will help offset the pain of loosing such a choice lot, but I
think eBay needs (at least an option of) going/sold aucions with a minimum of x
time (1 day?) between the high bid submission and winning the item.

Even if the minimum time was 2-3 hours, it would make a big
difference.  That would deal with most of the arguments about people
getting swooped minutes before the auction closes, and being
physically unable to find out they had lost the bid until after the
auction closed.

It would still require people to pay close attention to the auction,
if they really want to be sure of winning a set.  But I'm not willing
to say that that is a bad thing.  It seems like the level of one's
desire to win an auction should count for *something*.

It would also (in my mind) more accurately represent the
"real-time-ness" of eBay's refreshes.  Sometimes it seems like
auctions close earlier or later than the stated times.  I'm assuming
this situation is either (a) my imagination, (b) server error or (c)
database refresh latency.

Steve