 Marketplace / Auctions / 197
Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 22:59:55 GMT

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 20:20:02 GMT, "Larry Pieniazek" <lpien@NOSPAM.ctp.com>
wrote:

Every time I participate in an eBay auction and get sniped, I vow not to do it
ever again. But sooner or later, some really choice lot comes along, and I
backslide, only to get sniped again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=37153943

I had a 280 bid for days... with 405 as my ceiling. 41 seconds before the end I
got sniped.

Is it a mental problem? How do I break myself of this bad habit that just gets
me more and more annoyed each time it happens?

++Lar

All I can suggest is to realize that this is the way eBay works, and if you want
to win a set, the best way is to snipe.  It's snipe or be sniped when the item
is highly sought after.  I've found that it's often best to post a low bid early
and if possible be there at the very end to place your max bid.  In your case,
for instance, knowing you had a max of $405, I would have bid $250 or $300 and
then at the last moment put in the actual max of $405.  If the bidder that won
the lot from you still had you beat with this method then you shouldn't be as
frustrated since you would be shown immediately that you're max wasn't enough
to win.  If, OTOH, the other bidder just bid enough to beat you, then you would
have won with a minimum increment over the other bidder providing you placed
that maximum late enough to prevent a rebid.  Hopefully that was clear enough to
understand.  I realize many RTLers dislike eBay and the way their auctions are
run, but everything above is well within the rules, and if you really want to
win something on eBay, you have to play the eBay way.

Rob

|  Rob Farver - rfarver@rcn.com             |
http://www.farver.com/lego/              |
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/rfarver  |