 Local / United States / Pennsylvania / Pittsburgh / 34
Re: Ames 75% Star Wars LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.pa.pit
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 14:01:01 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.pa.pit, Toki Barron writes:
If you browse to www.postgazette.com, you can find plenty about the "Forbes &
Fifth" project or whatever it is called.  Mayor Murph is plannint to use
eminent domain (sp?) to buy a bunch of the older, mom & pop stores and put in
things like Nordstroms, I guess to make it a desirable place to shop ala
Fifth Avenue, NYC (I guess, that's where all of the big stores like Macy's
and Saks Fifth Avenue are, right?).

  Does this really seem like a good project to anyone?  Downtown already
suffers from a paucity of parking, especially in the 5th/Forbes area!  What
will be served by bringing in new businesses that no one will be able to
access?  For that matter, since most of the stores downtown are represented
elsewhere in malls and other, more accessible areas, who's going to bother
fighting their way downtown when they can go to South or North Hills, for
instance?  The whole thing seems ill-conceived, especially considering how
badly in debt the town is as a whole, and how strangely reluctant the powers-
that-be are to consider waterfront development.

They are giving the Pirates & Steelers new stadiums, currently being built on
the North Side/North Shore.  The Penguins are certainly going to demand a new
arena, and to be honest I think Lemieux (he owns the Pens now if you weren't
aware) deserves it.

  It's amazing to me that two of the losingest teams in baseball and football
somehow merit their own brand new stadiums, while a quite respectable hockey
club languishes in the oldest currently-active ice arena!
  For some reason, this town seems to snub hockey all too often; while the
Pens were surprising everyone in round two of the playoffs, somehow the
Pirates with their consistently awful performance still managed to grab the
headlines of the sports section!  Not until the Pens lost game 3 did they get
a headline of their own, and only then because they'd lost!  Very frustrating
to a heavy-duty Pens fan!

I think Pittsburgh is out of its depression of the 80s, but is growing much
more slowly that other areas (most notably, San Jose/Silicon Valley and
Raleigh/Durham).  The relatively high taxes don't help, but it is really the
lack of jobs for young people that hurts the city more than anything else.

  That, and the not incorrect perception of Pittsburgh as a town currently
past its prime; the Steel mentality is still too strong here for Pittsburgh to
move beyond its obsolescence.  Further, taxes are relatively high in part
because of the huge tracts of tax-shielded land in the downtown area.  The
building of high-price, high-profile retail juggernauts won't help in that
regard, though perhaps a less cryptic and inaccessible mass transit system
might be useful.

     Dave!