 Local / United States / Pennsylvania / Pittsburgh / 32
Re: Ames 75% Star Wars LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.pa.pit
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 23:51:24 GMT

Christopher Tracey wrote:

ps. has there been any talk of forming a Steel City LUG?

No, not really.  The problem is there aren't many AFOLs in Pittsburgh.  Just look at the traffic here -
seldom do you see a new message.  I guess that is a product of Pittsburgh in general.  Although the computer
and health care industries are doing pretty well here, that's pretty much it, so most young people move
away.  I graduated from Mt. Lebanon High School in '92, and Pitt (undergrad) in '97, and many of the people I
with whom I went to school are long gone.

I know, that's unfortunate about the city.  I wanted to stay after graduating but there were no
available jobs in my field when I graduated.  A large percetage of the people I went to college
with have stayed in the city, so maybe there a change happening.  I hope so.  Is the city still
working on destroying downtown with all that new development?

Yeah, pretty much.  If you browse to www.postgazette.com, you can find plenty about the "Forbes & Fifth" project or
whatever it is called.  Mayor Murph is plannint to use eminent domain (sp?) to buy a bunch of the older, mom & pop
stores and put in things like Nordstroms, I guess to make it a desirable place to shop ala Fifth Avenue, NYC (I
guess, that's where all of the big stores like Macy's and Saks Fifth Avenue are, right?).

They are giving the Pirates & Steelers new stadiums, currently being built on the North Side/North Shore.  The
Penguins are certainly going to demand a new arena, and to be honest I think Lemieux (he owns the Pens now if you
weren't aware) deserves it.  He has done so much to keep the team alive and in PGH, and if the Pirates & Steelers
get their new stadium, really, why shouldn't he?  I am a little biased because I have been playing hockey since the
age of 6 (in 1980) and have seen a TREMENDOUS growth in youth hockey, for which I feel that Lemieux is also
indirectly responsible.  When I started playing hockey, there were about 12 rinks in the area.  Now, there are
50-60 (most of the new rinks actually have 1 building with 2 rinks).

I think Pittsburgh is out of its depression of the 80s, but is growing much more slowly that other areas (most
notably, San Jose/Silicon Valley and Raleigh/Durham).  The relatively high taxes don't help, but it is really the
lack of jobs for young people that hurts the city more than anything else.

Toki