 Local / United Kingdom / 8231
Re: We've scratched their back, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 02:57:15 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Jon D. Hayward writes:
Lawrence,
I found your post rude and discourteous to say the least, and I don't mind
saying so in public.

Hang on, I don't think the post was discourteous but I can see that the
title might rub some people up the wrong way.

First up, the discount voucher here is a nice move - makes up for how club
members can only book discounts on child tickets - but let's face it, as
soon as LLW get hold of your address you get one or two £5 off vouchers
every year anyway.

But, I appreciate the way it's done through this community and I hope that
the relations go well.  So far there don't appear to be any huge benefits
for anyone, apart from the fact that discussions are taking place.  I guess
it's still early days though.

The Red Letter Day trip might have been tailored in discussion with AFOLs,
but it's still going to cost us as much as the last one.  Some of the items
may be better organised this time around too, but the description doesn't
convince me that it's going to be necessarily a 'better' experience than the
last one.  Having said that, I didn't know what to expect back then either
so I could quite easily be proved wrong.  It's certainly more popular this
time and I'm still looking forward to it.

But, I do think anyone reading this board has to appreciate that it's a
sounding board for everyone, and different opinions will arise.  I'm not
going to adjust what I talk about just because I now know that staff from
LLW read the board.  If it comes to that then I think it's missing the whole
point.

I for one would love to put on an AFOL fest and display at LLW.  I've always
thought they're missing a sales boost by not having minifig town and trains
in the park.  If we could do it and boost their sales, it'd also be nice to
blag something for the effort; but I'd also do it for nowt just to see if it
works.  That's my opinion, and most people here have seen it before.  If
expressing it on this board is going to compromise discussions with the
people who could make it happen then I'm sorry, but that has to be allowed for.

What could Lego do to support an AFOL event organised by someone here
anyway?  Someone could come along, and maybe cover it in the club mag, but
what else?  Maybe open the discussions that have taken place so far to
everyone present?
Let's have some ideas.

Jason J Railton