 Local / United Kingdom / 8233
Re: We've scratched their back, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 17:50:36 GMT

"Simon Bennett" <simon.bennett@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:Gx2wGD.LFB@lugnet.com...

I have
no problem if Jon, who asked and was not gainsaid when he suggested he
should be the conduit for discussions with LLW (note that this suggests he
was talking on behalf of at least those who attended the first RLD when he
did so), has decided that it would be far too difficult to involve us all
but he, Tony and Huw should realise that if they don't give us full • feedback
we will wonder what went on.

To be honest, Jon pretty much summed it up in his first announcement of our
meeting. For the record myself, Jon, Tony, Jason B and Michael LeCount
attended the meeting. (I was roped in at a fairly late stage when I showed
flair at producing documents and powerpoint presentations :-) )

LLW did not commit to anything (apart from the enhanced RLD), but also they
did not discount any of the suggestions we made which ranged from holding an
AFOL event in the park to sales of bulk parts like in LLC.

Clearly they need to make sure that anything they do for us makes financial
success to them, and expressed concern that the scheduled Red Letter Day on
June 1st was cancelled by RLD due to lack of interest, particularly
considering that the April event was highly successful and we all sung its
praises here on LUGNET. If the RLD could not be made a success among AFOLs,
they had little confidence that anything else could be.

So, the outcome of the meeting as it relates to this topic can be summarised
as follows, which again is as per Jon's messages:

1. The August RLD would be enhanced to appeal even more to the AFOL
community
2. We agreed to publicise it widely here and elsewhere to maximise
attendance, not only from UKAFOLs, but also those from those in Europe and
perhaps even further afield.
3. If that event can be made a success and we 'behave ourselves' (Jon's
words :) ) then we can move forward with other ideas and both benefit from
further association.

The RLD is therefore the start of what will hopefully be a long term
relationship. It's early days and who knows where it may lead.

In a separate development, LEGO Direct have made contact with us and also
Lawrence with a view to participating in AFOL events in the UK, along the
lines of their involvement in Holland and the USA.

Clearly we have an exciting time ahead. I just hope we can appear as a
unified body and don't bicker amongst ourselves and put a damper on things.

Now, I think, would be a good time to start the formation of an official UK
AFOL organisation. Comments please!

Huw

[I don't think I have offended anyone in my post, or have said anything out
of turn that fellow meeting attendees or LLW would not want me to disclose,
but
I'm sure I'll find out soon enough it that is not the case -- it's becoming
a tricky business these days posting on LUGNET...]