 Local / United Kingdom / 6956
Re: 10013 & 10014 First Impressions (at a price)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:44:30 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Reinhard "Ben" Beneke" <r.beneke@tu-bs.de> wrote in message • news:GH11IK.CqF@lugnet.com...

Except that Denmark just voted NOT to join the Euro!
So Lego will still be free to charge whatever they want.

And we Germans have never been asked at all: I bet if there had been any • kind
of voting, we never would have accepted to get rid of our worthful D-Mark.

Wasn't it voted on indirectly though?
Via a general election?
Or did all the canditiates support it, therefore giving you no choice?

That's the point: nobody dared to start a public discussion about this topic in
the months before the general election and all 4 main parties have been on
the same point of view, which means pro-Euro...

I only hope that me campaiging for alignment with German prices doesn't result
in German prices rises to match the UK!

I think this has partly happend already. Price for 4561 has been 240 DM
(average price in shops) last year, now it is 310 DM (at lego.com and a
lot of shops). 4565 has been 249 DM, now it is 329 DM, I think.
Silverchampion was first often to be found at 229 DM, now 300 DM. Points have
been available for 45 in lots of shops, now it is 60 DM everywhere. Speed
regulator has risen from 79 to 95 (and partly 99) DM.....

And lots of people fear more higher prices, when the Euro is invented as coins
and bills: the exchange rate is 100 DM = 51,13 Euro. But the dealers might not
bring down the new price to 50 Euro (- 2%), but go up to 55 Euro (+7%) or even
59,95 Euro (+17%).

Maybe the latest prices are already so high to divide them just by 2 in
january. Then it would look like 2% cdecreased prices.

But that's just some private guessing and anyway I do not want TLC to make
cheap products, but highest quality products. That is more a topic to me....

Kind Regards,

Ben