 Local / United Kingdom / 6955
Re: 10013 & 10014 First Impressions (at a price)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:20:00 GMT

"Lawrence Wilkes" <lawrence@thewilkesfamily.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

"Reinhard "Ben" Beneke" <r.beneke@tu-bs.de> wrote in message • news:GH11IK.CqF@lugnet.com...

And we Germans have never been asked at all: I bet if there had been any • kind
of voting, we never would have accepted to get rid of our worthful • D-Mark.

Wasn't it voted on indirectly though?
Via a general election?

Here in Italy it wasn't voted, and I suspect that this applies to Germany
too (and France, and Spain...).

Or did all the canditiates support it, therefore giving you no choice?

Yes, that's what happened here. Well, I'm not *aginst* the adoption of a
unique pan-European currency, I see the advantages, there are. But it won't
be as painless as they're trying to make us believe.
And consider that Ben and I live in countries where the exchange rate is
very close to easy numbers: 1 Euro is about 2 DM and 2000 ITL (we're already
used to get rid of the last three zeroes). But in other countries the rate
is a real pain and it will be hard to get used to the new values: 1 Euro is
about 6.6 French Francs, 166 Pesetas and 13.7 Austrian Shillings!

I think most British would sympathise with your issue on the D-Mark. Same • for us and the pound.
I believe the politicians are not very good at getting their message • across. 90% of the time is seems like the
arguements for the Euro are really arguements for a fixed exchange rate • mechanism and fiscal policy alignment, not for
us all using the same physical coin.

True. I travel a lot on my job and can't wait the moment when I don't need
to exchange currency or when I can read the prices in the windows without
having to perform any conversion. For business relationships it's a great
thing too. But I imagine that some little old men and women (and not only
them) will experience some diffculties in their daily life when they find
Euros instead of Liras in their pockets.

You may believe it or not: I'm not too happy about the cheaper prices • over
here. I'm a fanatic supporter of justice and these higher prices in the • UK are
not fair at all.

Well, thanks for your support

I only hope that me campaiging for alignment with German prices doesn't
result in German prices rises to match the UK!

:-)
LEGO in Italy is not as expensive as in UK but not as cheap as in Germany.
Let's hope that German prices will become the reference for the other
European markets :-)))
It wouldn't be bad if in the meanwhile we could have the Lego Direct service
active for us poor Southern European countries: Spain, Portugal, France,
Italy, Greece...
Though expensive, at least you can buy it!

Mario