 Local / United Kingdom / 2346
Re: The wife problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 21:25:24 GMT

I also find that a carefully (mis)balanced barter systems works passably
well.  For example, when we are in a shopping mall, for every twenty mintues
we spend at stores of her choosing, I get five in one of my own.  The same
can be applied to LEGO: for every 20 minutes of [snuggling, wall-painting,
envelope licking, fill in the blank with appropriately demeaning task ;)], I
earn 5 minutes of "playtime".  PLEASE NOTE: due to genetic predisposition,
the odds are always stacked against the male gender.

Well, it makes it patently hard for her to complain!

grinning at it all,
shaun

Ian Bishop wrote:

Scott's amusing post prompted me to start this as a new thread;

Basic deception

Keep the new stuff in the boot of the car (or some other place she
doesn't look, eg the garage, shed etc) until she's out - difficult if
you buy stuff while out shopping with her though. Be careful she doesn't
go in the boot before you've had a chance to move the stuff indoors
though or you're in double trouble (buying the stuff in the first place,
then not declaring it).

Economy

Be economical with the truth about how much that Club-Car actually cost
you. Unless she reads your mail she'll be none the wiser, and it looks
just like any other small set. If you keep set numbers out of the
dialogue she won't be able to cross-refer either - pinning you down
would take real commitment on her part. Difficult with big sets though.

The 'feel good factor'

When you hold an auction, be sure to show her the cheques and notes as
they drop through the door. 'Look dear - this means that the lego I buy
costs nothing'. Takes patience, but keep at it. You never know, it might
work.

The guilt trap

Many a criminal has succumbed to guilt and actually confessed all.
Temper the guilt by reminding yourself of all the things she buys with
*your* money that you wouldn't otherwise buy - women's magazines, stuff
for the house (that you don't like anyway). Less effective if she earns
too though.

The excitement trap

When that Metroliner turns up you are so excited you just have to tell
someone. Just ensure that it's not the wife. Especially difficult if she
is the first person you meet. Keeping in mind the consequences will help
(the sulking, the spare bed, withholding of privileges ;) etc

The teetotal card

If you don't drink or smoke you have the ideal excuse to spend a fortune
on lego. Consider giving up either or both and trade one addiction for
another. Ineffective if you drink or smoke, unless you resort to
deception about this too, in which case refer to basic deception above.

The sweetener

Ahh that timeless classic - just buy her flowers or chocolates prior to
the arrival of that parcel or the purchase of a new set. Very difficult
when you see something second-hand lego in the paper. Looks too obvious
when you return with lego *and* chocolates.

The comparison

Justify the cost by comparing the minimal cost of your lego hobby with
that of other more expensive hobbies. Only works within limits.

Disclaimer in the interests of political correctness; I am only joking!
Honest dear.

<Set female flame protection shields to full>

Ian Bishop, Ayrshire, UK