 Local / Portugal / 711
Re: OT: Quick homework help :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:49:43 GMT

Hi again,

The weather has finally co-operated (more or less!) it was a bit hazy, so an
approximate reading for the sunset was 230 degrees.  This was observed at
approx 2012 (daylight savings time).  However, the official sunset time at
my location for "ideal horizon and weather conditions" tonight was 2025, so
obviously I was out of luck on both ideal measures :) but it was still an
interesting little observational science exercise to do with my 7 year old.

According to www.auslig.gov.au at 2025 the reading would be:

AZIMUTH AND ALTITUDE OF THE SUN Time zone: +11.00 hours Altitude includes
astronomical refraction angle for a standard atmosphere. Date Time
Refraction Azimuth Altitude 25/11/2002 20:25:00 00°34'00" 240°14'48" 0°10'59"

Geoscience Australia's website is quite handy, go to
http://www.auslig.gov.au/geodesy/astro/smpos.htm to compute azimuth,
elevations, sun/moon rise/set, twilight times etc for a given date, this
site can also be used for locations outside of Australia if you know the
co-ordinates.

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com