 Local / Portugal / 704
Re: OT: Quick homework help :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 02:15:52 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Pedro Silva writes:
Hi all,

One of my teachers and I had a chat today about the relative position of the
sun during sunrise *in summer*.
Ok, so that is not the most interesting topic on Earth... I know :-)
But it is relevant to that class, in order to study how the sun can
contribute to the temperature of a building. Unfortunately, we are in the
middle of winter and cannot wait till summer to check our guesses... and
that is where you come in.

YOU are in summer now! :-D

So... if any of you living down-under is willing to help me, I'll be most
thankful of that.
The task is quite simple: During sunrise/sunset (does not matter much),
please check the relative position of the sun in degrees, 0º being North and
rotating CW. What I intend to know is if the angle is anywhere between 90º
and 270º. Not much rigeur is required, really - an approximation may suffice.
Oh, one more thing: the farther to the South you live in, the better.

TIA,

Pedro
(freezing his butt in the antipodes)

Hi Pedro,
I live in the Sydney region, approx 33degrees south. I really notice the
differnece in angle of the sun from winter to summer. I am fortunate in
having a north-facing verandah where i often enjoy breakfast and dinner,
anyway (enough of my life story) the sun rises quite north of east in
winter, due east at the spring equinox, and a bit south of east in summer.
This peaks at the summer soltice, approx Dec 21, and returns to due east on
the autumn equinox. I actually notice this more at sunset as the sun comes
through the kitchen window...
At midday on midwinter the sun is very low in the sky and due north.
However, on midday on midsummer the sun is very high but it is slightly
south in the sky, that is, slightly south of its zenith.
Hope this helps...
Robert