 Local / Danmark / 141
Re: Going to Billund
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.dk, lugnet.legoland.billund
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 22:09:33 GMT

Hi Again,
Also, it is not clear if you are driving or on the train. The trains were quite
frequent between Arhus and Cobenhavn via Odense. Lingtog (Lighting train) or
others, probably newer ones by now, are FAST. Also, I think there is a new
bridge so you may not get on a ferry at all anymore. bummer. Don't know
anything about train service between Billund and anywhere though.

If you get the train from Arhus in the morning, you can do stuff in Odense and
get back on, to get to Cobenhavn that night. Denmark is not a big place. I
remember my wife's cousins complaining about having to spend a half an hour in
a car to get somewhere.

Tivoli in Cobenhavn is weak compared to US amusement parks, particularly the
rides, but is a lot of fun to see at night. Its the original, and different.

Shopping in Copenhavn is great on and off the Strogt. But not cheap in general.
Try Dahl's Varhus (I call it the green store from thier old signage) It is
cheaper, a block off Strogt.

For glass and porcelain, there is a HUGE B&G/Royal Cobenhavn store on the
Strogt that has a nice selection of seconds, and closeouts on the top floor.

For LEGO, I had good luck actually at the large Dept stores that were closing
out some old technic and other stuff. On problem is that the stores close early
on weekends.

The subway and buses in Cobenhavn are great. You can also walk from the train
station to the little mermaid (overrated) all the way across town in about a
half an hour. You can also rent bikes. Its very flat.

We actually built our own loop day trip the last time we were there. We bought
a 1 day train pass and went from Cobenhavn up to the two castles north of
there. You can easily walk to the castles from the train stations in both
Fredericksborg and Helsingborg. We caught the express train back from
Helsingborg. Sorry I am at work cannot remember how to spell the towns, and am
sure I am mangling the names.  Sorry.

I would also recommend the palace tour in Cobenhavn, and the one that goes
underneath it.

Mark