 Local / Canada / 905
Re: Doh! Canada is expensive...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 19:22:46 GMT

Jeff Jardine wrote:

In lugnet.loc.ca, Tim Culberson writes:

I finally got around to sending in my LUGNET membership fee today.  I
got a US$10 money order and a US stamp - my cost in CAD dollars?
$19.49!  Ouch!

I sent my membership in recently, too.  I used Paypal - they now accept
international accounts.  I made my fee $13, to make it just under $CDN 20.
BUT Paypal adds a 2.6% (or 2.9%?) + $US 0.30 as a surcharge on international
transactions.  This pushes my total cost up to about $CDN 20.75 depending
on what my credit card company uses as an exchange rate.

Yeah my membership money would have been in about a month ago if paypal
was any good.  I signed up for a paypal account just days after it went
international and went through the whole process of verifying my credit
card and it worked excellent.  Then when I signed up for Lugnet approx
month ago I tried to pay by paypal and it gave me an error "sorry, we
could not verify your credit card - please register another".  Well this
pi**ed me off pretty good so I tried deleting the card and then
re-adding it but when I did paypal told me (and still tells me) that
"this credit card cannot be used with paypal - please register another
card".  Well I don't have another card to register so basically I can't
use paypal anymore (which is why I curse them up and down and do not
recommend them to anyone now).

--
-TiM
NB, CA