 Local / Australia / 9402
Re: Yeah baby (was: allow myself to introduce....myself)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 06:18:14 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Allister McLaren writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Scott Kirton writes:
Hi Allister and Scott !

I am a newsgroup lurker who has been spurred into posting in response to
your introduction.  For a while there I thought you were writing about me.

Stop lurking and start posting, all you lurkers out there.
Go along to a local meeting and get involved.

For example : I'm 33, married with 2 kids, age 5 and 2, mortgage (in
Coorparoo), dark age from age 12-31, lego renaissance catalysed by young
son.  Loved classic space lego, like all 11 year old boys in 1980, and now
love my Milennium Falcon.  Did have a dog, but had to send her to Doggy
Heaven (no, she was not put down, we gave her to a pet food wholesaler).

I had to read that last sentence twice...hmmm.

The thirty-something parent with a long dark age gets double satisfaction,
re-discovering Lego and sharing it.

I found some Classic Space minifigs in a tub of jambalaya I picked up last
week, not to mention the 2 4x1 blue bricks with LL918 on it and lots of CS
logo bricks (woohoo). I've got a suspicion that there's a 6950 in there too :^)

Second hand lots are always interesting, fragments of a sibling or other
relatives collections leaving clues.

Unfortunately I'm having to start from scratch. I left my childhood
collection with my first wife for when our son grew up. Long story.

Ouch !

Actually I think my engineering and design bent came about because of a
childhood swamped in Lego, not the other way around. The basics of structual
engineering can be summed up in one sentence: If it isn't strong enough,
beef it up. The trick in the real world is to figure this out before you
build it. With Lego this isn't so critical - you can build it and beef it up
as needs must.

Maybe I should have finished architecture.   (:^(

My plans for the Black Space Barracuda are slowly forming in my mind. I want
to build the actual Black Seas Barracuda first, though, so it might be a
while before I get around to solidifying it.

The standard BSB is a most worthy build. Using the PASA (plates at strange
angles) construction technique.

Possible BSB variants:-
The Black Seams Barracuda - a coal transporter.
The Black Seeds Barracuda - Nick Cave's displeasure cruiser.
The Black Seats Barracuda - ATSIC HQ, moored on Lake Burley Griffin.
The Black Bean Barracuda - floating Chinese restaurant.
The Black Seals Barracuda - for nightclubbers.
The Lack Seas Barracuda - in permanent drydock.
(The Black Sieves Barracuda - resting at the bottom of the harbour).
The Black Teas Barracuda - for crews with dairy allergies.
The Black ack ack Seas Barracuda - anti-aircraft weapons platform.

pete.W(hite House Barramundi)