 Local / Australia / 9382
9381  |  9383
Subject:
Allow myself to indroduce... myself
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:14:23 GMT

Hello,

I'd like to introduce myself to the Australian Lego community.

My name, as you have probably already worked out, is Allister Mclaren. I've
just recently come out of the 'dark ages' as I've seen them referred to,
when I was searching for some Lego CAD software and stumbled across LDraw
and consequently Lugnet.

What have I been doing all these years?!

I was very much into Lego as a child, but lost interest in about 1983. I
remember at about the age of ten reading the 'for ages 7-12' thing on the
boxes of set and hoping that I wouldn't lose interest at the age of 12, but
for some reason I did. I watched the contents of the Lego shelves after
that, but never felt the urge to purchase. Of course, I'm kicking myself now
missing out on all those years of some outstanding sets, but there you go.

A bit about myself. I'm 33 years old, currently work as a process
engineering draftsman on the CAR project here in Brisbane. I live in lovely
Wynnum By The Sea with my good wife Mary, a four y.o (Dougal), a 6 m.o.
(Patrick), and a labrador (Gaspode). It's partly Dougal's reaching 4 that
has prompted my new interest in Lego.

I've been furiously re-establishing a collection in the last few months, and
it's getting there, even though the parts are a little old and scratched.
I'm awed by the creations I've been looking at on Lugnet, and inspiration is
almost becoming impossible to contain. Some of the ways I've seen Lego being
used is truly awesome.

My interests as a child were predominantly in the Space and Town themes (I
mourn the loss of my 924 set to this day), and that is carrying over to this
day with most of my ideas being for spaceships (stay tuned for the Black
Space Barracuda). I really like what Lego are doing with the Star Wars
license, by the way. I LOVE my UCS X-Wing I got on the recent K-Mart sale
(what a mine of parts - the urge to break it up is getting to me)

Anyway, I hope to catch up with the Brisbane group soon. In fact I've been
conversing with Kerry (whom I know from the Bikeqld email list), and now
that the weekend's rennovating has been cancelled (what a shame :) ) I may
even make it to the meet on Sunday (can't promise at this stage). Aaron: if
you could email me the details at mailto:allistermclare@bigpond.com, or
phone me on (07) 3393 5627 I'll do my best to get there. From what I've seen
in the reports on the website it looks like a lot of fun. Wee Dougal's gonna
love your fire engines.

Cheers to you all,

Allister