 Local / Australia / 9388
9387  |  9389
Subject:
Yeah baby (was: allow myself to introduce....myself)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 13:35:03 GMT

Hi Allister,

I am a newsgroup lurker who has been spurred into posting in response to
your introduction.  For a while there I thought you were writing about me.

For example : I'm 33, married with 2 kids, age 5 and 2, mortgage (in
Coorparoo), dark age from age 12-31, lego renaissance catalysed by young
son.  Loved classic space lego, like all 11 year old boys in 1980, and now
love my Milennium Falcon.  Did have a dog, but had to send her to Doggy
Heaven (no, she was not put down, we gave her to a pet food wholesaler).

It seems from reading other posts that a large proportion of AFOL's are
people who have rediscovered the joy of building thing's (and let's face it,
smashing things apart) after digging out their old lego collections for
their children.  Now I'm guilty of buying my 5 year old son many sets that
are far too advanced for him - still, I get to build them, and I am
investing in his future lego collection.

The best thing about being an AFOL is being able to get the really big sets
that mum and dad couldn't afford all those years ago.  Unfortunately there's
also no-one to say "no" so spending can get a bit out of hand.

Alas, I do not have an engineering bent, as my sad and unstable attempts at
space vehicles can attest, but the amazing Tolkien-inspired creations of Jon
Furman (brickshelf) have inspired me.  My lego LOTR chess set is almost
complete, and after then who knows - Minas Tirith?

Cheers,

Scott Kirton

P.S.  Allister,  what is the CAR project, and do you know Kent Lyons?