 Local / Australia / 8820
Re: June Meet Brikwars 'registration'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 12:47:26 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Zac Soden writes:
Hi everyone,

This thread isn't so much a resistration. It's more just working out whats
going on. Heres my ideas:

- Max. 500 point armies (much of my bricks will be tied up in other models
so I think 500 points should be adequate...)

Seems a reasonable limit - you can squeeze a reasonable number of troopers
and a vehicle or two in easily. It would also depend on the size of the
playing surface, and the number of players.

- space technology

Probably the easiest to field (Tech Level 5 IIRC).

- Snow terrain?? I can bring some white flannelette sheets (make for good
snow) and if everyone could bring a small bit of bricked up snow terrain
(rocky outcrops, abandoned outposts, etc.) it would work out good.

Are you envisioning the snow having a particular effect? (Should all troops
be on skis or snowshoes?)

- Everyone playing needs to make up a sheet with each of their units' stats
on it so that the game speed can be maximised.

Yes.... but if we're playing full-fledged brikwars, I think we also need a
(non-playing) referee/gamemaster/gamemistress. ( Or maybe an absolute
commitment from everyone not to take it too seriously. Which can be
difficult in the heat of battle)

I'll agree to that...the only times I've played, we've had the same
'referee' who was playing against us, and somehow things didn't often go our
way. [and the addition of off-field rocket-launches against our troops, when
that area of the rules hadn't even been mentioned...till they hit, and
troops immune to a level 4 rocket detonating less than a dozen studs away
when the rules had been set that there were no 'super powers' sort of put a
dampener on my interest in the game. [I'm sure the 'referee' of these games
knows what I'm refering to.]]

Legowars presents a simpler alternative, and we could still use the brikwars
points for unit size. It also encourages the use of slug throwers rather
than dice rolling.

- Anything else?

There needs to be a plot or goal. While just destroying everything else on
the playing surface can be fun, it might be ultimately unsatisfying. Just a
simple capture the flag(s) is okay.

As long as the goal is fair, and not about having a goal considerably closer
to the team trying to get it as opposed to the defending team actually being
in a position to defend it.

From a non-attendee's point of view...how about something along the lines of:

"Following on from their expulsion from their previous safe base, the
Welshishish pirates have finally surfaced north of their previous home.
Unfortunately, even though they have had an opportunity to put their past
lives behind them, they have decided to go back to a life of crime. Having
set up a new base of operations, they have started raiding the out-lying area.

Upon hearing of this, the local govenor has called up the garrison and all
available troops have been sent out to deal with the invaders..."

This should allow for:
1) a Welshishish defensive placement/camp in the centre of the playing area
2) a reasonable goal for each side:
a) The Welshishish are trying to control the area [the barracks has been
emptied of defenders, and so if they survive the battle they may be able to
take control of the colony/region] although re-inforcements are expected
after 20-50 turns, so if the Welshishish aren't victorious, they are likely
to be overwhelmed.
b) The Local troops are trying to destroy the Welshishish base [a ship of
some sort may be of use in case of iminent defeat...]
3) Quite possibly a very good yarn to be used as a summary of the battle.

[If the Brictorians attend, they harbour no ill-will against the
Welshishish, and can be considered neutral...as such, their controller can
decide who would be able to make best use of their services.]

NOTE: due to budget constraints [ie. no budget.] I will be unable to attend,
but I am happy to turn select units and possibly the odd vehicle over to any
Victorian heading north...I'll even try and get the stats sheet done up. Of
course, the troops will need to be collected from the barracks.

Benjamin Whytcross

Cheers

Richie Dulin