 Local / Australia / 6579
Re: NEXT SYDNEY MEET....????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 07:16:05 GMT

"I'm on a Committee"

Oh, give me some pity,
I'm on a committee
Which means that from morning to night
We attend and amend and contend and defend
And reiterate all of our thoughts.
We revise the agenda with frequent addenda
And consider a load of reports.

We compose and propose
We suppose and oppose,
And the points of procedure are fun!
But though various notions are brought up as motions,
There's terribly little gets done.

We resolve and absolve,
but we never dissolve
Since it's out of the question for us.
What a shattering pity to end our committee,
Where else could we make such a fuss?

I found this anonymous poem once on a noticeboard in a meeting room and
copied it down and then circulated it widely on the Internet in the early
1990s to various committees of which I am a member as a Christmas greeting.
As a consequence of that, I receive a certain number of enquiries each year
from people seeking my permission to republish the poem, as everyone now
believes that I wrote it and indeed, I have seen myself listed as its author
on a number of occasions. The Internet is truly a strange place!

Kerry